Monthly Archives: July 2013

Load balancer for Web Sockets


I am working on a implementation which requires using websockets with failover to comet. Web socket is an upgrade protocol to HTTP, and once established the connection remains open between server and client. Typical HTPP load balancers will not work – so what is the solution.
I did some research on loadbalancer with specific support for Websockets –it turns out that HAPROX is the most reliable and widely used open source option. Other option is NgNix, having community version as well as paid model –but community version lacks active support.

Apache has also released it’s module for websockets, but reviews are not as good as HAPROXY. A good comparison and discussion around these three is available in this post.

The “Greatest Limitation” of HAPROXY –it does not have a build for windows.
It can be worked out for testing with cygwin on windows -but for any production deployment, it has to be a linux machine.

Never put static files in WEB-INF folder and never be over confident about ur analysis ;)


It could be weird but when you code in hurry to get over ASAP, it invites even more delay and trouble -I spend almost 2 hrs trying to access static files placed in a folder inside WEB-INF folder, forgetting that it will never be accessible from a browser because that’s why there exist a WEB-INF folder -to restrict public access!

So my intent was good – I had a JSP which has embedded SWF file. Everything was in root foler parellal to WEB-INF. Then I though lets restrict access to SWF using direct URL (SWF have some login code as well) – So I created a folder view “inside” WEB-INF and moved all my files there. hmm..

  1. After execution of business logic, I forwarded the request to JSP .
  2. JSP was rendered but SWF was not loaded.
  3. I tried redirect by putting the folders outside WEB-INF (For redirect it has to be out side WEB-INF!) and it worked!!!
  4. Oh my –I concluded, it’s issue with the forward, completely ignoring the fact that it’s about static file location
  5. After 2-3 hrs, yeah, 2-3 hrs, I used Firebug -I do not know why I did not used at the beginning, may be I was trying to be over smart and highly confident about my analysis of the cause!
  6. Firebug reveled that all files need to be at a place accessible by browser -which is outside WEB-INF

More than any technical learning – do not be overconfident about your analysis 😉

Looking up spring beans defined in java configuration classes


Recently I got rid of XML files in Spring app used for configuration by using annotated classes. A basic issue -how to “lookup” these instance if required, took me some time. The good old way with XML

AbstractApplicationContext ctx = new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext("/META-INF/application-context-root.xml");

It’s still simple, use a different class with configuration class as argument

ApplicationContext context = new AnnotationConfigApplicationContext(RootConfig.class);
sessionManager = (SessionManager) context.getBean("sessionManager");